Monday, July 24, 2006

Augean stables


It's all about floods this week - it hasn't stopped raining for 2 weeks - this district needed rain, but now I wish it would stop. The horses are standing in mud, I get soaked every time I venture outside, and the three weanling Arabian colts don't look too happy being so recently taken away from their mums and are standing around looking drenced. My palomino First Cross Quarter Horse filly seems to be getting over her cold, despite the weather, but is still on medication and is locked in a stall.
At any rate, I ventured out at the weekend to build fences. The people who used to own this place had miniature ponies, and miniature fences to match. Most of the posts I was able to pull out with my bare hands, no digging required. I have had to refence the whole place myself. So last weekend I completed a Herculean fencing task. It was ghastly - I would rather have cleaned out King Augeas' stables. (Unlike Hercules I wouldn't have had to divert two rivers to do the job, there were already here.)
Of course, having teenagers, my fencing was interrupted by comments like, "I'm STARVING!There's nothing to eat!" My reply: "There's food in the fridge". Their reply: "No there isn't, come and see, there's nothing to eat in it". Of course the fridge was full, but I think they expected McDonalds Drive Through in the fridge, everything else in there wasn't "food". So I had to fence while fielding those comments, teenagers!! Anyway, check out my lovely fences. It's posts, 1 rail on top about 5 1/2' high, filled in with wire netting, with 2 strands of electric tape in front. (Excuse the fencing material still on the ground.) I'm going to paint it all white when the rain stops.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home