Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Another filly, a PALOMINO Quarab!

Riena foaled Rowena on the Monday, and on Tuesday afternoon I noticed chestnut Arabian mare Arwin of Kikkuli had bagged up considerably since that morning. As I was contemplating the sleepless night ahead of me, the phone rang, and it was Karen of KD Arabians, New Zealand. They were visiting 83 y.o. Les Ellery of Cudglebar Stud, and on the spur of the moment thought they'd bring him to visit me the next day, stay overnight, then head back the next day. Les was thrilled, as he usually can't get away from the farm. I've known Les since I was a kid, and as a teenager leased him my foundation stallion Helicon for 2 seasons.
I quickly "cleaned up" the house, by throwing everything in file boxes and stacking them in my bedroom, out of sight - I'm still looking for things!
Karen and John were frightened as they had experienced my cooking before, and their faces looked stricken when I insisted on cooking the dinner. Les was very excited to see Cudglebar Jasmine, a favourite mare of his - he sold her to me last Christmas just after she recovered from a life-threatening illness. Les's stud is out west and the season had brought more Pattersons Curse (nasty weed) than usual - Jasmine had sustained liver damage from eating it and had nearly died. The vet told Les she had to get to a Pattersons Curse free area asap, and Les wanted her to come to me as I have a vet literally 3 minutes away, and, if I do say so myself :-), I spoil my horses!
That night I stayed up again to check Arwin, and she foaled at 2 am - very easy birth, everything went just perfectly (apart from me not being able to see if the filly was passing the meconium in the dark, so I picked it up and put it in my coat pocket to check its identity later - and found it there at dawn!) This is Arwin's first foal, and she is a superb mum. The night took a cold turn so at 2.15 am I ran to wake up Karen, and we moved Arwin and the foal into the foaling stable from the foaling paddock. Then Karen and I stayed up all night talking. Les was up at 6 am to see what had happened, and was impressed the foal, and very approving that Karen and I had taked about pedigrees all night!
Les suddenly decided not to eat breakfast when I offered to cook it, and said cereal would be fine. He didn't want toast as I burnt the first 6 pieces and had to throw them in the sink and turn on the tap to put them out as they were smoking. Toaster's fault! I said.
Back to my filly... a PALOMINO!!!!!! I saw her first in the moonlight and knew she was a palomino, even from the distance at which I was lurking not wanting to disturb Arwin. All my life I have wanted to breed a palomino filly, but haven't been able to breed a palomino at all, and I am very blessed and excited to have the lovely filly! She is by Trazir Stud's palomino Quarter Horse stallion BWQ Tassa Hollywood. I named her in honour of Les, Hyksos Little Leslie Lena. She is a very intelligent horse, and very cute!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home