Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Hand the vet my credit card?


I think I should hand over my credit card to the vet. Cudglebar Jasmine had another relapse. (If you haven't read past blogs, she ate Pattersons Curse when she lived at Cudglebar which caused liver damage, and so Les Ellery sold her to me to get her out of the area asap. Otherwise nothing could have enticed him ever to part with her.) Jasmine had just started on the liver drug but it hadn't had time to kick in, and she suddenly went downhill again. She is doing hugely better today and last night finished a 5 day course of antiobiotics. As of last night, she was only eating grass, and not drinking water or eating her feed or hay - and only drinking water in the form of warm molasses drinks. The first few days of her relapse she wasn't even drinking that, so I had to syringe molasses and water into her mouth, countless syringes of it went into her mouth.
Last night I started her on shots of B complex, and B12 and folic acid. This morning brought about a marked difference - she had eaten most of a biscuit of lucerne hay, and drunk the remaining (now cold) molasses water and quite an amount of normal water.
She is living on the front lawn at the moment, which, thankfully as I am on town water, I had been watering (no water restrictions here) and fertilising as a pick for the horses. She has been grazing the last few days but not greedily.
Nowe that the liver drug is starting to kick in, her coat has become incredibly shiny for the first time ever, and lies flat - a huge improvement. She has no more needles for another 2 days, which will make her happy.
Here's a photo of her - the view from my office window - when we had a cold snap the other day. Now it's back to hot and dry. There is rain on the horizon but nothing doing as yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home